Griddled halloumi with watermelon this salad has a great interplay of textures, temperature, and flavours. Toss juicy watermelon with salty cheese, crispy breadcrumbs, capers, almonds, and mint
Ingredients necessary for the preparation of Griddled halloumi with watermelon & caper breadcrumbs:
- 750g Watermelon
- 2 Small shallots, very finely sliced
- 100ml Extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing and to serve
- 4 tsp White balsamic vinegar
- 300g Halloumi, sliced
- A good Squeeze of lemon juice
For the breadcrumbs
- 75g Slightly stale country bread, crusts removed, blitzed into coarse breadcrumbs
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ Medium red chili halved, deseeded and chopped
- 2½ tbsp Capers, rinsed
- 50g blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- Small bunch of mint, leaves picked, half of them torn
Preparation of Griddled halloumi with watermelon & caper breadcrumbs:
- Cut the watermelon into slices and transfer to a bowl with the shallots.
- Add 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and the balsamic, then season with fresh black pepper.
- put in the fridge for about 15-20 mins.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the breadcrumbs until turning gold.
- Add the garlic, chili and capers and cook for another minute, then toss in the almonds.
- Remove from the heat, add the torn mint (it will wilt a little), then taste – it will be quite salty, but the watermelon won’t be, so you’ll get good contrast.
- Brush the halloumi with a little oil and heat a griddle pan.
- Griddle the cheese on both sides until just starting to melt but still holding its shape, with nice golden griddle marks.
- Toss the cold watermelon and shallots with the rest of the mint leaves and some salt.
- Divide between four plates, or pile onto a platter. Put the hot halloumi on top.
- Squeeze over some lemon juice and top with some of the breadcrumb and caper mix. Serve immediately.