Shahi paneer is a preparation of paneer, originating from the Indian subcontinent, in a thick gravy made up of cream, tomatoes and Indian spices.
Ingredients necessary for preparation of Shahi Paneer:
- 3 Cups Paneer (cubed)
- 30 Gram Melon seeds
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
- 2-3 Green chilies (slit)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Black cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 2 Cups Tomatoes, grated
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
Preparation of Shahi Paneer:
- Soak the melon seeds in water and grind to a paste.
- Heat butter in a heavy-based pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add ginger and brown very slightly.
- Add tomatoes and saute over medium flame, till the oil separates.
- Add the melon paste, turmeric, coriander, salt, chili powder, and garam masala and sauté over low or medium flame, till the oil separates once again.
- Then add green chilies along with 2 cubes of crushed paneer and saute till the green chilies start looking glossy.
- Mix in water and bring to a boil. Leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add paneer cubes, simmer for about 2 minutes and serve hot, garnished with coriander.