In a South Indian meal, payasam or sabudane ki kheer is served first at any formal or auspicious occasion. Payasam is also served after rasam rice, while rice with buttermilk forms the last item of the meal.
Ingredients necessary for preparation of Sabudane Ki Kheer:
- 1/2 Cup Sabudana
- 4 Cups Milk
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tbsp Cardamom powder
- 1/2 Cup Water
Preparation of Sabudane Ki Kheer:
- Soak Sabudana in water for 2 hours.
- It will absorb almost all the water and the size will increase.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium flame.
- When milk comes to boil add soaked Sabudana. Cook them until they turn transparent and soft for around 10-15 minutes, make sure to stir continuously.
- Add sugar to it & let it dissolve. Lower the heat and add cardamom powder.
- Stir continuously and cook until the milk turns thick. It will take approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and transfer prepared Sabudana Kheer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish it with sliced almonds and serve warm or chilled.